Milbank Is the Latest Law Firm to Reach a Deal With Trump

Another big law firm has reached an agreement with the Trump administration over the kind of free legal services its lawyers can provide to head off an executive order that could impair its business.

President Donald J. Trump announced on Truth Social that Milbank had agreed to provide $100 million in pro bono legal services to causes supported by his administration and the law firm, including helping veterans, active members of the military and people who are victims of inequities in the criminal justice system.

The law firm also agreed to use a merit-based system and to not engage in “illegal D.E.I. discrimination.” It also promised not to deny representation to a client because of his or her political views.

The Trump administration has focused on firms that employed lawyers involved in investigations of Mr. Trump and his prior administration, or who have hired lawyers who have been critical of the president.

Milbank recently hired Neal Katyal, a frequent critic of Mr. Trump who was an acting solicitor general during the Obama administration, as an attorney in its Washington office.

The settlement comes on the heals of similar deals Mr. Trump announced with two other big law firms: Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom and Willkie Farr & Gallagher. A number of big law firms have rushed to strike deals with the administration after Mr. Trump signed executive orders against three firms that crippled their ability to represent clients with government contracts or other government business.

Three firms are fighting the administration in court and federal judges have temporarily blocked the orders against them. But a big one, Paul, Weiss, Rifkind, Wharton & Garrison, chose to settle after being hit with an executive order on March 14. The firm’s settlement has been roundly criticized by law professors and others in the legal industry. Critics said the firm’s decision would only embolden Mr. Trump to go after more firms he views as having helped his political enemies or causes he rejects.

In the statement posted on Truth Social, Mr. Trump said Milbank supported his initiative to end the “weaponization” of the legal system and to avoid partisan litigation. The president’s post included a statement from Scott Edelman, Milbank’s chairman, in which he said the firm was glad to be able to “find common ground” with Mr. Trump.

Mr. Edelman did not immediately return a request for comment.

Earlier on Wednesday, the New York City Bar issued a strong statement of support for the suits against the Trump administration. The country’s oldest attorney bar association said it supported the lawsuits filed by WilmerHale and Jenner & Block and it affirmed the rights of lawyers to represent whomever they wanted.

Perkins Coie was the first law firm to sue the Trump administration over an executive order limiting its access to the federal government.

Leave a Comment